Do you thrive doing fast-paced, physical, outdoor work? Are you interested in learning about and growing for a local food system? Do you like to work hard with a team of like-minded people? Please read on! Two Roads Farm is looking for Field Crew to join our team this season.
Our Farm: We are a small-scale family farm, thoughtfully growing mixed vegetables and some flowers on approximately 2 acres. We use regenerative, human-scale growing practices. We like to work hard and laugh often. We take pride in feeding our community really good food. We value caring for the land we farm and the people we farm with.
Start Date: April 1 through June 30, 2023. Possibility for short-term fall position September-December.
Duration: Until the end of October, with a possibility of being offered additional work in November and December (season-dependent). Preference will be given to candidates with availability until mid-December. Please consider applying even if you aren’t available for the full-season; we consider shorter-term hires where they are a good fit for the team.
There is potential to take on leadership and specialized roles, and the possibility to move into full-year employment for those who are a good fit on the farm team and who demonstrate a commitment to efficiency and quality and a desire for long-term employment on the farm.
Weekly Schedule: 30-40 hours per week. The work week is Monday-Friday or Tuesday-Friday with occasional Saturdays possible. Start times vary from 6am-9am, depending on season and weather. There is a half hour unpaid lunch break and a paid extended coffee/tea break daily.
We are looking for self-motivated, reliable people with the ability and willingness to work and maintain a positive outlook in all weather. People with a solid work ethic who value doing their work well, and who are able to complete a varied set of tasks effectively and efficiently both on their own and and working with teammates, tend to thrive and enjoy this work. Previous experience with fast-paced, physical and outdoor work environments is considered an asset.
Duties include: Our Field Crew works on our small team with experienced farmers on varied tasks including soil preparation, seeding, planting, plant and landscape care, harvesting, processing and packing vegetables, vegetable processing for value-added products, assisting with equipment and infrastructure building and maintenance, and marketing. Our work is physically and mentally demanding at times, and we work in all types of weather. We work together to cultivate a work place that values kindness, quality food, open communication, and efficiency.
Wage: $17 per hour base wage, with possibility of wage review mid-season for exceptional performance and potential end of season bonus for those who work to the end of the season.
- Legally allowed to work in Canada
- Able to repeatedly lift 40lbs
- Able to safely perform tasks that require repeated motions including bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Able to work effectively and safely and maintain a positive outlook in all types of weather, including hot sun, cold, and heavy rain
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Reliable, responsible and punctual
- Able to learn and work quickly and efficiently while maintaining quality in a fast-paced, varied work environment
- Able to be adaptable and flexible in the face of unpredictable and changing weather and situations
- Able to build and maintain good working relationships
- Comfortable working around dogs or a willingness to learn – there are 3 on the farm.
- Preference will be given to candidates with accommodation on Denman who are able to arrive for 6am start times. On-farm seasonal accommodation may be available. Workers are responsible for their own transportation to and from the farm.
- Preference will be given to candidates available to work into the fall.
- Challenging, fulfilling work – you will be feeding our community and caring for the land we farm, while getting lots of fresh air and exercise.
- Lots of fresh veggies!
- Opportunities for mentorship and learning about small scale sustainable farming and small business
- Potential for an end of season bonus if you work to the end of the season and the farm meets its financial goals.
- Working on Denman Island and experiencing life in a small and beautiful island community – lots of beaches, lakes and forests to explore after work!
Please e-mail your resume with contact information for two references to: email@example.com.
Please include a short cover letter that describes why you are interested in working at Two Roads Farm, and your relevant experience.
DEADLINE: We will begin contacting applicants after February 25th. Postings will remain open until all positions are filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Emily and Sam