Are you interested in being part of a profitable and sustainable small scale vegetable farming business? Two Roads Farm is looking for two Farm Hands to join our team this season in Canada Summer Jobs-funded positions.
Start Date: One position starts ASAP. Start date for the second position is negotiable, but no later than June 29.
Duration: Minimum 8 weeks, with a possibility of being offered additional work until the end of August or Thanksgiving weekend. Preference will be given to candidates available until Thanksgiving.
Weekly Schedule: One position 35 hours per week; the other 30 hours per week. The work week is Monday-Friday. Start times vary from 6:30-8am. We usually take a 1 hour lunch break.
We are looking for self-motivated, reliable people with the ability to work in all weather, a positive outlook, and who are able to work effectively and efficiently both as team members or while completing a task without direct supervision.
Duties include bed preparation, planting, seeding, plant care, harvesting, processing and packing vegetables, assisting with equipment and infrastructure building and maintenance. Occasionally, workers may be asked to assist with caring for pigs and chickens.
Wage: $15-$16 per hour
Our work is physically demanding at times. We work in all types of weather, including hot sun and heavy rain.
- Maximum 30 years of age at the start of the job (Canada Summer Jobs funding requirement)
- Ability to lift 40lbs and to perform tasks that require repeated bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Ability to work in all weather
- Able to work quickly and efficiently while maintaining quality
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team setting
- Accommodation on Denman (the earliest ferry from Buckley Bay does not arrive early enough)
- Able to commit to 8 weeks working 30 or 35 hours per week (Canada Summer Jobs Funding requirement)
Preference will be given to candidates available to work longer than 8 weeks, preferably until Thanksgiving weekend. Preference will also be given to candidates with farm experience and who might return for a second season.
- Challenging, fulfilling work – you will be contributing to an essential service and feeding our community
- Free veggies!
- Regular opportunities for mentorship and learning about small scale sustainable farming and small business, including aspects not part of your regular duties (e.g. book keeping, crop planning, etc.)
- Potential for an end of season bonus if you commit to the farm for the full season and the farm meets its financial goals.
Please e-mail your resume with two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a short cover letter that describes why you are interested in working at Two Roads Farm, and your relevant experience.
DEADLINE: Wednesday June 3 12pm.