Are you interested in being a part of local food security? Do you want to learn about small scale sustainable farming? Please read on! Two Roads Farm is looking for three Farm Hands to join our team this season. These positions include Canada Summer Jobs funded positions.
Start Date: May 31 through June 30, 2022.
Duration: Until Thanksgiving weekend, with a possibility of being offered additional work after Thanksgiving. Preference will be given to candidates with availability until mid-December. Finishing on Labour Day weekend is an option for applicants attending school in the fall.
Weekly Schedule: 30-35 hours per week. The work week is Monday-Friday. Occasional Saturdays possible. Start times vary from 6am-9am, depending on season and weather. There is a half hour unpaid lunch break.
We are looking for self-motivated, reliable people with the ability and willingness to work and maintain a positive outlook in all weather, and who are able to work effectively and efficiently both as team members or while completing tasks without direct supervision. We work hard and laugh often. We take pride in feeding our community and caring for the land we farm.
Duties include soil preparation, seeding, planting, plant and landscape care, harvesting, processing and packing vegetables, vegetable processing for value-added products, assisting with equipment and infrastructure building and maintenance. Occasionally, workers may be asked to assist with marketing and caring for pigs and chickens. Our work is physically demanding at times, and we work in all types of weather.
Wage: $16.50 per hour base wage, with the possibility of an end of season bonus for those who work to the end of the season.
- Able to lift 40lbs and to perform tasks that require repeated motions including bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Able to work effectively in all types of weather, including hot sun, cold, and heavy rain
- Reliable and responsible
- Able to learn and work quickly and efficiently while maintaining product quality in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong communication skills
- Able to build and maintain good working relationships and work effectively and efficiently as part of a team
- Preference will be given to candidates with accommodation on Denman who are able to arrive for 6am start times. On-farm accommodation may be possible.
- Preference will be given to candidates available to work into the fall.
- For workers applying to Canada Summer Jobs funded positions, these positions require applicants to be 30 years old or younger on the employment start date.
- Challenging, fulfilling work – you will be feeding our community and caring for the land we farm, while getting lots of fresh air and exercise.
- Lots of fresh veggies!
- Opportunities for mentorship and learning about small scale sustainable farming and small business
- Potential for an end of season bonus if you work to the end of the season and the farm meets its financial goals.
Please e-mail your resume with contact information for two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a short cover letter that describes why you are interested in working at Two Roads Farm, and your relevant experience.
DEADLINE: We will begin contacting applicants after May 15th. The positing will remain open until all positions are filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Emily and Sam